Annie Hall Fashion



I was looking through J Crew's website this weekend for some new flats and came across their Keaton Cutout Oxfords. The oxford's reminded me of the movie Annie Hall, one of my favorites. While I'm a fan of the movie, I love Diane Keaton's clothes in it even more.  The haphazard layering of men's clothes, baggy pants, the Ralph Lauren tie, still seem fresh, even today.  My favorite part of the story of Annie Hall, and Diane Keaton's look, is that Keaton put the looks together under protest from the costume designer who told Woody Allen, "Tell her not to wear that. She can't wear that.  It's so crazy!"  I wonder if Annie Hall would be the same without Keaton's clothes? I doubt it.


Of course Diane Keaton was not the first actress to adopt men's clothes as part of her wardrobe. One of my favorite actresses Kathryn Hepburn revolutionized women's fashion in the 1940's with her unique look.  Even in masculine trousers and men's shirts she exuded sex appeal, never wearing a dress on set, or anywhere else.  By doing so, she forever changed the way women all over the world dressed.

But I digress, back to Annie Hall.  There are some things that are timeless, and the clothes in Annie Hall fit into that category.  So after seeing those "Keaton" shoes on the website, I decided to look for more "Annie Hall" items in J Crew's current line.  The more I looked, the more I realized that there is a little Annie Hall and Kathryn Hepburn in a lot of J Crew's clothes for women.  The masculine and feminine are often interwoven, in with the sparkly dresses and jewelry are tailored men's shirts, brogues for women and this season the Panama Hat, which, rather than the felt Derby Keaton wore in the film, seemed more appropriate for Summer.

I myself own a masculine pinstripe trouser suit with matching vest.  I used to love wearing it to the office.  It was almost like wearing a superman suit. I loved the way I felt in it.  The linen vest (left) from J Crew is my favorite of the group.  The cut is fabulous, feminine and sexy.  Perfect with a pair jeans or to accompany a suit that you already own.  Superman...

Of course the Annie Hall "look" is nothing without a men's tie.  The good news there are some fabulous ties out there to choose from, or steal one from your husband, father or a friend!  Finally, the linen shirt, a favorite of mine.  If you don't already own one, buy one.  I think a linen shirt is a must have piece for every woman.  You can wear it with anything.

So, this Summer, channel a little Hepburn and a little Keaton and shine.


Happy Shopping!



Notes:





Top to bottom left:  Hobo Bag, Blue Stripelinen vest.
Bottom: Panama HatKeaton Cutout Oxfords.
Right top to bottom: Perfect Shirt, Tie.

Photos: J Crew, Wikipedia, Annie Hall, Kathryn Hepburn.

Comments

Popular Posts