A little bit of Paris


One of my favorite childhood memories is the time my mother and I drove from London to the Dordogne in France. Along the way we spent a week in Paris. The city made an enormous impression on me, even though I was only seven.  I loved walking the streets looking in all the shops, eating the delicious pastries and visiting the Louvre and Notre Dame.  I'll never forget us driving on the ring road around Paris, trying in vain to get to Notre Dame, with my mother saying, "There's Notre Dame from the north, there's Notre Dame from the South", as we passed it again and again. We have been back to Paris many times over the years, but I still remember that first visit.

French style is everywhere this year and I have picked my favorite pieces from some of the "big retailers".  Horchow has a wonderful Paris Metro Collection, a mixture of heirloom pieces and flea market finds. Pottery Barn, Restoration Hardware and Anthropologie also have some wonderful pieces with a strong French influence.

 Paris Metro Style 1
Full disclosure, I love this style of decorating.   The mixture of the cream sofa against chrome metal accents, mirrors, soft muted fabric tones and weathered pieces make my heart flutter.  


Large Picture:  Image from Horchow's Paris Metro Collection.

Top Left to Right.
1) From The Little Bookroom, Paris Chic and Trendy Designers' Studios, Hip Boutiques, Vintage Shops by Adrienne Ribes-Tiphaine, $14.95.  A beautiful book detailing Paris fashion, style and shops.
2) Paper Chase. Paris Map Cavallini Wrapping Paper, $3.95.  I love this wrapping paper and it is a perfect size for framing.  Bring a little piece of Paris in your home for an inexpensive price.
3) Horchow Collection.  Arteriors Mirrored Side Table, $499.  Stunning gold iron frame with two mirrored panels.  A great transition piece that would work in a modern, mid-century or classic home.

Middle.
4) Pottery Barn. J'aime ma famille pillow, $35.00 Mix of cotton and linen woven fabric with a bold graphic print.  A simple throw pillow can change the style of any room.
5) Anthropologie.  Reassembled Mirror, $495.  Reproduced from a French antique frame, broken apart and reassembled.  A great take on a classic.

Bottom.
6) Pottery Barn.  Louis Chair, $349.  Upholstered in a linen cotton seat.  A classic.  One simple chair at a desk can change the direction of a room.
7) West Elm. Braided Baskets.  $19-59.  A great collection of baskets.  I am a basket nut and have yet to pass one that I don't want to bring home.
8) Horchow.  Iron Side Table, $599. Nickel plated finish with antique mirrored top.  I love this table.  It has just made it onto my wish list.

 Paris Metro Style 2
A modern industrial take on classic French style, with a reference to the modernist flair of 1920 and 1930's European design.  My favorite piece, the metal cafe chair.  


Top.
1) Restoration Hardware. Camelback Slipcovered Sofa, $1,300+.  A relaxed take on a classic sofa, slipcovered in linen.

Middle.
2) Horchow. Subway Sign Giclees, $486.90 (sale).  Graphic 1920's signs, reproduced on canvas.  
3) Restoration Hardware. 1920s Parisian Club Side Table, $245.   Reproduction of a French Jazz Age table.  A little pop of black is great in any room.
4) Horchow.  Metal Cafe Chair, $199. Hand crafted in iron with a bronze finish.  I love these chairs.  What a statement these would make in a sandwich shop or lunch place.

Bottom.
5) Restoration Hardware. Tufted Coffee Ottoman, $795-860.  This is a classic piece that would look great with any style.


Comments

  1. I love that little black café table. Maybe I've just spent too much time in coffee shops and now they feel like home.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts