Friday, April 22, 2011

Happiness is Egg Shaped



I have a love affair with egg cups.  When I was three months old, my mother was presented with a silver egg cup with my initials on it as a chritening present.  A handwritten note on a crisp white card accompanied the little egg cup.  It was from a Anthony Stanbury Esq. and reads as follows, " As the T.V. ads assure me that happiness is "egg shaped" what else could I give your daughter or wish for you.  All my love too.  Ant."  Every time I read the card I wonder a little about Mr. Stanbury.  So on this Friday before Easter, in honor of Mr. Stanbury, here is a selection of egg cups.  Maybe you could give one as a gift.  If you do, think about enclosing a note.


I'm drawn to all of these egg cups and believe that there is an egg cup here that would fit every design style.  One of my favorites are the Living Tsar egg cups (above right). Inspired by Faberge's eggs, the pale pastel glazes and ornate legs give these egg cups a wonderful vintage feel.  My hands-down favorite are the West Elm Egg Cup with Duck feet (below).  Whimsical and fun, any boiled egg presented in one of these egg cups is bound to make you smile.  Which is your favorite?



Notes:
Top
Verner Panton Eggcup by Menu at Scandinavian Design Center. Yellow Egg Cup, Anthropology. Alessi 90045 Egg Cup, Allesi-Shop. Glass Egg Cup BergHoff, BergHoff worldwide.  Mustache Egg Cup, Etsy, LennyMud's Shop, imm Living Tsar Egg Cups, Amazon.com        

Bottom:

Egg Cup with Duck Feet, West Elm.















No comments:

Post a Comment