Monday, March 21, 2011

Why I'm Thinking About Cleaning Out My Junk Drawer...in the next few months..

We are moving from California to the East Coast. Luckily for us the company my husband works for is helping to pay for our move. The good thing about having some corporate cash is that you can have professional movers do the job, which I have to say beats the times that we've had to move ourselves.You see this isn't our first time at the "Moving Rodeo". In twenty years we have moved eight times and have lived in six states, some more than once.

The first step in the professional move is to call the perspective company and request that someone comes to your home to give you a quote. The problem is a moving coordinator has to physically come into your house to do it.  I say "problem" because in order to give you a quote they have to open all your cupboards and drawers so that they can work out how many boxes, cartons, wardrobe boxes, dish packs etc., you are going to need. I should say here, I'm what you could call a "surface tidy" type of gal. Open a few key drawers and cupboards in my house and the truth is revealed, underneath that surface there is some serious disorganization. For me it is a case of having other things I'd rather be doing with my time. I do contemplate tidying drawers and closets, but then a girlfriend calls and asks if I want to go to lunch and the thought of tidying anything simply disappears --"poof". The good news is that most of my family and friends don't come to my house and start opening drawers and cupboards, so I live a pretty guilt-free life. However, Jim the moving coordinator who came to my home late last week, shined a light on my disorganization, and made me seriously consider doing something about it. Really.

Jim seemed like a nice enough fellow when he first walked through my door. Organized with the latest moving scanning gizmo, flyers, business cards, pen and paper, he stood in my kitchen and we chatted for a few minutes about my upcoming move. After coffee he announced that we better "get down to business" and then said, "Why don't we start in the kitchen as we are right here."  He nonchalantly reached out for the nearest drawer and to tried to open it.  Unfortunately, it happened to be what is known in our house, and probably yours, as the "junk drawer."  I say he tried, because he couldn't actually get it open. The drawer did move about two inches, but then abruptly stopped. "Oh, that drawer doesn't open..." I said apologetically, and then added, "...anymore."

The truth is, the junk drawer in our house was immaculate just two short years ago. But, over the last two years I have tossed everything from cub scout badges to loose change into it.  It has become such a problem that the last time I needed supplies for one of my son's school projects, (you know the projects I am talking about, the ones specifically created by elementary school teachers that require an advanced art degree in order to get it done) I went out and purchased what I needed rather than try to get the drawer open.


Jim however, unlike me, is what could best be described as a persistent type of fellow. So he didn't give up on opening the "junk drawer".  Instead he spent the next few minutes tugging, pushing and pulling, trying to get the drawer open.  This activity was interspersed with brief pauses while he would stick his hand into the drawer to see if he could dislodge the offending object.  By the time he was done, there was a large pile of items sitting on my kitchen counter including pens, scissors, four rolls of scotch tape and a large tangle of charging cords. You know the charging cord tangle I am talking about, the "I-have-no-idea-what-this-is-for" charger cord cluster, the ones that you dare not throw out, just in case. Our cord tangle includes a phone cord from a phone we owned three phones ago and the charger for our sons now obsolete and long abandoned hand-held game.  By this point, I was starting to sweat, especially because we were still on the first drawer. After a good five minutes, Jim did get the drawer open.  Turns out it was a glue stick that had caused the problem.  One of those enormous fat ones, designed I suspect by some engineer at Crayola who obviously has no drawers in his house.

Relieved that the ordeal was over, I let out a little sigh.  However, as I watched Jim reaching for the second drawer, I realized he was reaching for what we refer to as "the other junk drawer."  This contains the spill over from the first "junk drawer".  In that moment  I vowed to clean out my junk drawer before the next coordinator came to give me a quote. And then it occurred to me, why clean out your junk drawer when you are about to move anyway?  

PS.  I did "Google' for tips on cleaning out your "junk drawer".  They included step by step instructions that usually started with, 1. Tip Out the Contents of Your Drawer.  I'm not going to belittle you with reposting them here.  I think we all know what needs to happen, don't we.

No comments:

Post a Comment