Friday, March 18, 2011

Just Around My Corner - Rogers Gardens, Corona del Mar, CA



I got an e-mail alert this morning from Rogers Gardens, one of my favorite haunts, announcing their 2010 Spring Open Preview. And so the moment my son came home from school we piled in the car and drove over to take a stroll around.   My son and I have spent endless hours at Rogers, from the days I would strap him into a baby sling and wander around on late sunny afternoons waiting for nap time, to the times as a rambunctious toddler, he would fly at top speed down the pea gravel paths, weaving between the rows of flowers, and I would be forced to chase him. At the ripe old age of eleven, he has started to show an interest in the flowers and the eclectic items gathered in flower pots, urns and every other conceivable container that dot the galleries and gardens. Today when he walked into the first room of the Gallery, the largest building, he actually let out an audible gasp, much to the delight of one of the salespeople standing close by. I have to say the view was beautiful, with a pale gray table piled high with white pots of all shapes and sizes filled with white flowers and lit to perfection by an enormous crystal chandelier suspended inside a giant black iron sphere.

I am always amazed and intrigued by the mixture of objects that you find wandering through the rooms in the Gallery, and today was no exception. The old wooden statue (pictured below) was particularly striking, with a large tin heart suspended around his neck.


For me, the highlight of the wander was the fifteen foot gallery wall, covered with paintings, maps, clocks and drawings of every description, in muted tones of brown, gray and black. There was hardly an inch of visible wall space. I could have quite happily purchased everything on the wall, driven it home, put it all up, and died a happy woman.


Rogers Gardens has endless events, showcases and classes of every description throughout the year.  If you are ever in the area, stop by and spend an afternoon.   Rogers Gardens is located at 2301 San Joaquin Hills Road, Corona del Mar, CA.


No comments:

Post a Comment